I am the Director of the Global Security Programme and Senior Research Fellow at Pembroke College, Senior Research Associate at the Department of Politics and International Relations, and affiliate at the Latin American Centre, all University of Oxford. I am former (2019 – 2021) Visiting Scholar at Harvard University’s Weatherhead Center for International Affairs. I am Research Associate at the Centre on Conflict, Development and Peacebuilding, Graduate Institute Geneva. I hold a doctorate from the Department of International Development and St. Antony’s College, University of Oxford.
My work focuses on global security. In this context, I research the interface of armed conflict and transnational organized crime, and the implications for security architectures, peace building and governance. I am particularly interested in the role that diverse types of violent non-state groups play in these dynamics. Among other areas, I focus on the political economy of borderlands as spaces where criminal, terrorist and conflict dynamics converge. Methodologically, I am fascinated by the use of ethnographic methods in Political Science and International Relations, as well as multi-methods research. I have conducted extensive fieldwork in war-torn and crisis-affected regions, including in and on Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela, Myanmar and Kenya (on Somalia).
Here is an overview of my work:
- The Changing Character of Conflict Platform: Understanding, Tracing and Forecasting Change across Time, Space and Cultures, funded by AHRC/ESRC (Principal Investigator)
- Transitions and Social Cohesion in Contexts of Multiple Crises, funded by the OX/BER Initiative (Principal Investigator, with Sérgio Costa)
- From Conflict Actors to Architects of Peace: Promoting Security and Development across Borders, funded by Canada Global Affairs (Principal Investigator)
- From Conflict Actors to Architects of Peace: Justice, Peace, and Politics in the Creation of a Lasting Peace in Colombia’s Marginalised Regions, funded by the Oxford-Berlin Research Partnership Seed Grant (Principal Investigator, with Sérgio Costa)
Recently Completed Projects:
- Beyond the War on Drugs: The International Drug Control Regime in the 21st Century (in collaboration with Juan Carlos Garzón, Woodrow Wilson Center)
- From Conflict Actors to Architects of Peace: Changing Security Landscapes Viewed from the Margins, funded by the UK Global Challenges Research Fund, Higher Education Funding Council for England (Principal Investigator)
- From Conflict Actors to Architects of Peace: Promoting Human Security in Colombia and Internationally, funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Principal Investigator)
- Implementing a Ceasefire and Ending Armed Conflict: How to enhance human security and cross-border development in Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela (Principal Investigator, in collaboration with UN Colombia)
- Putting Frontier Research into Action: Tackling Violent Non-state Groups in Peripheral Spaces (in collaboration with UN Colombia and the UN System Staff College)
- Towards Sustainable Peace in Colombia and the World: A Critical Perspective on Army Transformation
- Dynamics of War and Peace: Drama, Poetry, Music and Dance (in collaboration with Rama Mani, Theatre of Transformation)
- Negotiating with Armed Actors: Peace Communities in Colombia (in collaboration with Cécile Mouly and Belen Garrido, FLACSO Quito)